Position Title: Program Manager, Cities for Clean Air Certification
Location: Delhi, India
Duration of Appointment: One year starting August 2017 with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance and confirmed funding
Application Closing Date: On or before 30th June, 2017
Estimated Start Date: August 2017
According to WHO (Report, 2016), India has half of the world's 20 most-polluted cities. The reasons for the worsening air quality are multiple and diverse including mobile sources (such as transport), area sources (waste burning, cook stoves, suspended dust of construction and industrial activity) and stationary sources such as power plants.
The Government of India has taken steps to address air pollution including the launch of the first air quality index of the country in 2015, leading to sharing AQ values with the public. The aim is to eventually deploy the index in all cities with a population of over one million. But in parallel, ‘urban India’ is growing rapidly, with planning and infrastructure decisions being taken that often lock-in air pollution.
Clean Air Asia is an international NGO established in 2001 as the premier air quality network for Asia by the Asian Development Bank, World Bank and USAID. Our mission is to promote better air quality and livable cities by translating knowledge to policies and actions that reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from transport, energy and other sectors. We are headquartered in Manila and have offices in Beijing and Delhi. For more details visit www.cleanairasia.org
Clean Air Asia India has been working in the area of air quality management since 2008, and our work primarily focuses on city level air quality management and establishing city networks in this regard.
We are currently recruiting for a full time Program Manager to join our dynamic team at Clean Air Asia in New Delhi, India. A self-motivated individual with knowledge and skills in sustainable/low carbon governance especially in the context of cities and with an understanding of voluntary standards would be the ideal candidate.
Cities for Clean Air Certification is a new voluntary standard that seeks to challenge, assist and recognize actions that cities take to address clean air with a focus on the follow six areas:
Engaging people to take action
1. Institutional co-ordination
2. Engaging new stakeholders
Consolidating and communicating relevant data
3. Air quality information
4. Understanding pollution sources
5. Planning and infrastructure
6. Air pollution reduction
The Management of the Certification Scheme is provided by Clean Air Asia
The Certification scheme is initially focused on secondary cities in Asia that are taking the first steps to address air pollution. It has been piloted in the Philippines, Indonesia and Nepal and we now want to open it up more widely to cities including in India so that by the end of 2018, 50 cities are working towards certification.
II. JOB PURPOSE - Program Manager, Cities for Clean Air Certification
The role will have the responsibility for supporting approximately 50 cities in target countries (currently the Philippines, Indonesia and India) to work towards certification. This will require:
• Ensuring the credibility of the certification scheme to challenge, assist and recognize actions that cities take to address clean air
• Building recognition of the scheme with cities and national level partners
• Outreach to engage new cities and maintain a certification community of practice
• Generating resources for managing the program in a sustained manner
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
The role will be line co-managed by the Clean Air Asia India Director and the CAA Program Director (based in Manila) with day to day line management responsibility with the Clean Air Asia India Director
The primary duties will be to:
A. SCHEME GOVERNANCE
• In line with the governance arrangements established, support the functioning of the Certification Advisory Group to review and approve any proposed changes to the accreditation requirements;
• Establish processes to ensure city actions incorporate new research and policy developments;
• Co-ordinate and guide review and update of existing actions to incorporate feedback from city implementation;
• Build synergies between other Clean Air Asia work and certification to align capacity building and tool development;
• Manage partnerships to ensure that cities have access to appropriate support to complete actions
• Resource mobilization and fundraising
B. SCHEME IMPLEMENTATION
• Responsibility for the engagement of up to 50 cities working towards certification with direct responsibility for outreach and support to approximately 15 Indian cities;
• Manage the review of evidence submitted by the cities and the functioning of the web platform;
• Manage the development of guidance materials based on feedback from cities;
• Build support and recognition for certification through developing and maintaining partnerships with relevant stakeholders at the international level, national and regional government, local government associations, the private sector and research community;
• Ensure consistency of communication materials and representation of certification in appropriate fora
• Mobilise resources to ensure sustainability of the program
• Staff management
• Task manage one staff in the Philippine office and a potential coordinator in Indonesia
• Resource management
• Allocate roles and responsibility to ensure delivery
• Lead new business efforts to develop and grow the initiative
D. CROSS-PROGRAM SUPPORT
• Support the Clean Air Asia India team in city specific interventions
• Carry out other tasks relevant to Clean Air Asia India’s programs and activities so that outputs from different projects can build on each other
• Deliver other tasks assigned by the India Director and represent the India Director as appropriate.
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
To apply for this role, you must have the following skills and experience:
• A post-graduate degree in environmental or low carbon development policy and/or urban development-related discipline.
• 5 years’ experience of interacting with government, civil society and companies
• Experience of integrating environmental issues into decision-making processes and an understanding of the opportunities to strengthen integration between central and local governments
The following would be desirable
• Experience of working with voluntary standards
• Experience of working with cities and local governments
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The selected candidate will be appointed on a fixed-term consultancy contract for 12 months, with possibility of extension based on performance and confirmed funding. The salary rates are competitive and can vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
VI. HOW TO APPLY
Quoting reference application “Certification India” in the subject line, applicants should email their application letter, current CV (as Word attachments), to Jovy at email@example.com, on or before 30th June, 2017. All applicants should state the reasons for their interest in the position, relevant details of qualifications and experience (inclusion of documents/files demonstrating previous work is encouraged), and contact details of three referees.
We encourage early application as applications will be processed as they arrive so the recruiting process may end earlier than closing date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that only applications sent as per the above instructions will be considered.
Job Email id: center(at)cleanairasia.org